Sunday, April 15, 2012

Recording Was An Amazing Experience

Portland, how beautiful you are in the Spring. Trees packed with full, white blossoms, a rainbow of tulips filling yards, daffodils and flowers that I don't know.

I am just back from recording - 3 days with John Askew at Secret Society and his studio Scenic Burrows. Pics coming soon but I left my camera there! So when it comes, you'll see this gorgeous piano, an old upright grand, that I had the honor and pleasure of playing.

This project has taken shape as a timeline of experience - the coming and passing and loving of my golden son Otto, and all that he brought us, another world, a lifetime of love and missing, a deepening. Since I am a mama of a toddler now too, music has become more simple and straightforward because that is what the shape of my life allows - so it's an album of voice and piano and full of tenderness.

The sound coming from these sessions is the most full and clear than any project I have yet done, and it is full of ambience and movement - so even though simple, it is rich and alive and stirring.

I was afraid a little, pulling up to the piano bench the first day, of what I was opening up to - what I wanted to share. But the assurances and direction that John gave made it easy, and trust is the most important aspect of recording for me. I had a perfect nest of support.

And so came the songs, live, and the experience of playing this music, of these 3 days dedicated to pouring out my heart, to singing love to my boy, and receiving back from singing the piano strings, have left me glowing and sore. It has been a sacred experience.

Part of me just wants to leave it here, safe and perfect, and yet I know this music wants to find its way in the world, and so I will see where it goes. I am so proud of it, so grateful to it, amazed at what has come out. I feel love for it.

More soon.

No comments: